What is SEO?
“Search engine optimization”. A mystery to most, but mastered by few individuals who possess the ability to make money fall from the sky. All you need is a computer, internet and a lot of time. If you have all of those things, you can master the art and science of Search Engine Optimization.
Briefly, here’s what you need to know about search engine optimization (SEO):
- SEO is a marketing tactic companies or individuals can leverage to improve the rankings and visibility of its website (as well as online presence in general). This is done by improving the on-page and off-page factors search engines consider important.
- Imagine the power of having your company’s website listed at the top of Google for every keyword that your customers search. That’s pretty powerful because your customers are already looking for a company like you, and now, you are the first website they see.
- If you are not on 1st page or near the top of 1st page, chances of anyone finding you is slim to none. The fact is that 85% of search engine users do not click beyond the 1st page of Google. That said, the company’s website would be buried too far down the rankings to be of much benefit.
Perhaps more important than asking “what is search engine optimization” (especially for small and medium-sized businesses), is why is SEO so important?
Why is SEO Important?
In a nutshell, employing a well planned SEO strategy can drive serious traffic, increasing rankings which result in brand visibility and awareness, all through organic search results (natural search results. Not Ads).
A comprehensive online marketing strategy requires more than simply maximizing results based on keyword usage; however,
designing site architecture that simplifies navigation is a key factor to improving search rankings.
- Fix all technical errors. Google has a hard time reading your website when there are a lot of technical errors on your site. If you have a lot of technical issues, more than likely, you will have trouble ranking.
- A strong Mobile User Experience is essential. This means creating a mobile website with lightening fast page load times and easy to navigate.
- Search engines use algorithms that read data found on the Internet and determine which results are most relevant to the initial search.
Each algorithm is constructed using numerous factors, most of which are proprietary and, therefore, not available to businesses so that they can deconstruct them and develop workarounds.
When it comes to increasing search rankings, which then drive traffic to a website, the site’s content is the factor that most influences algorithms to rank some results higher than others.
So, what is search engine optimization? It’s the best, most cost-effective way for companies to market themselves and what they sell or do if they produce content that is unique, informative and related to topics for which Internet searches are conducted and the website it is easy to view and use.