If you are an aspiring SEO professional, you probably know what link building is in concept. On the other hand, if you are a business owner, you may have heard the term a few times before. Not everyone understands SEO jargon, and very few business owners care to understand it. However, if you are in the process of hiring an SEO consultant or agency, reading this article will make you dangerous.
What Is Link Building?
First, let’s define what a “Link” is. This is a link. Therefore, in its most basic form, link building is the process of building or creating links. Now, there are a few important factors that make link building valuable for your website’s search engine rankings.
- When building links, you will want to have the link pointed at the webpage you are trying to rank.
- The anchor text (word you choose to create the link with) is a ranking factor that is important to pay attention to.
- Not all links are good links. Only build links from quality sites with content relevant to the page you are linking to.
- Link Building isn’t easy.
- Without links, your website will not rank for competitive terms.
One of the ways that I explain how SEO works is by comparing it to a car.
- Onpage Optimization- Just like a car needs to be fine tuned to run great, your website content and structure have to be optimized correctly.
- Link Building- Even with the most well tuned car, packed with all of the upgrades, it still won’t run unless you have gas. Your links are your gas and it’s important to continue feeding your website links.